Adam & I went to home depot just to price out a backsplash and ended up coming home with everything and tackling it last weekend. I think it was a tad more work than we anticipated, instead of just being a weekend project it turned into a week long project. However, I have to tell you – I LOVE IT! it was so worth it. If I didn’t have Adam though I never would have been able to do it myself (which I think I had convinced myself earlier). There are so many cuts to be made – which also means you need a good tile cutter. And it just so happened Adam’s dad had one! *Phew*
We watched quite a few Youtube video tutorials on how to do it, and then just went with it!
For everything – tiles, grout, glue, sponge, hand cutter, chalk, spacers = $170 (which we thought was a steal)
Before: Getting everything out of the kitchen (I have noticed I need some new kitchen lighting… YIKES)
Tiles Spacers = Very important/A big pain in the butt
We chose the small spacers because we wanted the tiles to be close together. A trick when using these is to dip one of the corners in the glue before placing it. If not, then they will just keep falling out and become a HUGE pain.
Step 1: Wash the wall surface, and put painting tape on the areas you don’t want the glue to touch. Make a line in the middle of both focal points. This will be your starting point
Step 2: All the video tutorials we watched said to line up the tiles on your counter as they will be lined up on the wall – we decided not to do this half way because with the spacers and having to cut the tiles it was just better to do it as we went….
Step 3: Start where you made your line in the middle and work your way out…
Adam put the glue in sections instead of putting all the glue down at once – this was way better because it is very time consuming you don’t want the glue to dry before putting on the tile.
Step 4: Once all your tiles are up, they need to dry for 24 hours. Then comes the grout! This is where we got nervous because after Adam put all the grout on, it seemed to be uneven. The sponge didn’t seem to help much either. So after we let it dry a little, I took a damp J-cloth and ran my finger along all the grooves. This made the biggest difference. It made everything even.
I am so happy with it, and it’s all thanks to my Handyman!! ♥